FOSS Weekly #10 - $219 Linux Laptop, Fedora's CC0 update, npm security, and other news.
We have lots of hardware and gaming related news this week from Pine64 and Steam Deck, and enterprise news from Microsoft, Google, and Nvidia. Fedora's change in classification of CC0 has garnered some attention, and the oldest video game is playable again. I've also added some goodies at the end!
- Fedora will no longer allow software licensed under CC0 [theregister.com/2022/07/25/fedora_sours_on_creative_commons/]
- Pop!_OS for Raspberry Pi 4 released as tech preview [9to5linux.com/system76s-pop_os-linux-22-04-distro...]
- Thunderbird 114 will support Firefox Sync [ghacks.net/2022/07/25/thunderbirds...]
- Linux management with Microsoft's Intune expected to be generally available in Q3 [thestack.technology/intune-for-linux-general-availability/]
- GitHub introduces security enhancements to npm [github.blog/introducing-even-more-security-enhancements-to-npm/]
- US Department of Defense funds Google and SkyWater to enable open source chips [theregister.com/2022/07/29/dept_of_defense...]
- OSS Security highlights from the 2022 Open Source Summit North America [linuxfoundation.org/blog/oss-security-highlights...]
- Nvidia AI Enterprise 2.1 improves support for open source [developer.nvidia.com/blog/whats-new-in-nvidia-ai-enterprise-2-1/]
- Pinebook Pro, the 14", $219 Linux laptop is now available for purchase [pine64.com/product/pinebook-pro...]
- Star64 RISC-V Single board computer will be available soon with 4 and 8 GB configuration.[pine64.org/2022/07/28/july-update-a-pinecil-evolved/]
- Linux 5.20 to support The Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen3, ThinkPad X13s Arm Laptop [phoronix.com/news/Linux-5.20-SoCs-8cx-Gen3-Arm]
- Pinecil V2, PineTime, and PineSound updates [pine64.org/2022/07/28/july-update-a-pinecil-evolved/]
- Spacewar!, the first known video game ever made back in 1962, is now playable on Analogue Pocket [ign.com/articles/spacewar...]
- Canceled space sim game Limit Theory opens its source code [gamedeveloper.com/production/canceled-kickstarter-game...]
- Valve resolves supply chain issues and ramps up Steam Deck production [store.steampowered.com/news/app/...]
- Steam Deck OS Beta gets Firefox as Flatpak and other updates [steamcommunity.com/games/16752..]
- Linux Mint 21 [Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce]
- Firefox 103 [mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/103.0/releasenotes/]
- Python 3.11 final beta preview [pythoninsider.blogspot.com/2022/07/python-3110b5...]
- This week in GNOME [thisweek.gnome.org/posts/2022/07/twig-54/]
- This week in KDE [pointieststick.com/.../this-week-in-kde-lots-of-work-on-discover/]
💡 Interesting finds of the week
- This talk by James Mickens: My love letter to computer science is very short and I also forgot to mail it.
- If you liked that talk, check out his other presentations and articles here: mickens.seas.harvard.edu/wisdom-james-mickens
- How China blocks the Tor anonymity network [technologyreview.com/.../how-china-blocks-the-tor-anonymity-network/]
Thank you for reading FOSS Weekly! I hope you found this issue helpful. If you liked this post, consider subscribing to the newsletter down below or via RSS so you don't miss the next issue. If you have any feedback or if you want to sponsor an issue, email me.